Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Trenches of Discovery: On the Road, vol. 2

Three six-week slots ago I was writing from Berlin in the midst of a long-ish research trip. I feel like I've been moving constantly ever since. When I left for Europe I'd just accepted a new job in another corner of the world, and that month on the road was partly spent getting used to the idea of a big transition.

Returning to Chicago in early May, I had 0% of the move organized. I hadn't even told a lot of people about it! By the middle of July I was entirely packed down (well, kinda...), my deconstructed apartment was on a truck somewhere in the Midwest, hurtling its way to the Pacific in the form of a boat docked off the coast of L.A. I was saying a lot of farewells.

Read the rest at The Trenches of Discovery.